The Sinfonietta Consonus
Sinfonietta Consonus was founded by Michał Mierzejewski in the year 2008. It consists mainly of the talented students of music schools and Academies of Music (mainly from Gdańsk). The orchestra is widely known in the circles of rock/ progressive metal music from the project created by its founder. Symphonic Theater of Dreams – a symphonic tribute to the progressive scene icon – the band Dream Theater - was issued on a CD on the 8th of March 2013. This record has been appreciated by music critics all around the world as well as the band. This very difficult project became a great prelude to the orchestra’s career. It is also supported by Dream Theater.
Despite their young age, Sinfonietta Consonus, the orchestra and the project Symphonic Theater of Dreams undergo a very dynamic development and cooperate with many great musicians.
In the year 2013 the musicians of SC recorded an album with Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) - "Explorations For Keyboard And Orchestra".
It is one of the most difficult projects for an orchestra which has ever been created. This project set the bar very high and we believe that it will soon become another perfect showcase of the abilities of the musicians from our orchestra. This record is one of the greatest achievements of Sinfonietta Consonus.
Some other achievements of the orchestra:
- performing at the Drum-Fest 2012 festival and in the Baltic Opera House
- recording an album with the supergroup Affector
- cooperation with the band Flying Colors
- recording for WizdomMusic
The orchestra also performs classical music as well as contemporary and film music.
We would be nothing without it:
The creative crew of the orchestra
After graduating as a violinist under the tutelage of Andrzej Kacprzak, Szymon Morus studied symphonic and opera conducting under Wojciech Rajski at the Academy of Music in Gdańsk. He won the President of the Council of Ministers’ scholarship and has participated in many national and international chamber music courses. He was nominated for the “Young Culture Creator of 2012” prize. As a President of Musica Giovane Pomeranian Association Szymon Morus is very active in cultural actions in the region of Pomerania.
As a conductor, he co-operates with the Sopot Polish Chamber Orchestra, Elblag Chamber Orchestra, the Baltic Philharmony Orchestra and the Sinfonietta Consonus Symphony Orchestra. He has given concerts in Germany, France, Greece, Spain, Switzerland and Great Britain. He has worked with many outstanding artists, including Thanos Adamopoulos, Thüring Bräm, Massimiliano Caldi, Jerzy Maksymiuk and Ivo Pogorelich.
He is the founder, conductor and artistic director of the PROGRESS Chamber Orchestra.
Founder, artistic director, conductor
Michał Mierzejewski – born on 17 December 1989 in Olsztyn. A composer, an arranger and a founder of Sinfonietta Consonus orchestra, inventor/composer/arranger of Symphonic Theater of Dreams.
In 1997 roku he began to learn how to play the violin in the State School of Music (1st level) in his home town Lidzbark Warmiński. Michał Mierzejewski started composing in 2005. He composes and arranges music for various ensembles. He cooperates with many artists from all around the world. He writes contemporary music as well as film and computer games soundtracks.
In October 2009 he received a commendation for the composition „Schizofrenia” for the string orchestra at the Young Composers Contest dedicated to Janina Garść in Kraków.
As a composer and an arranger, his greatest achievements refer to popular music. We has written, arranged and cooperated with such bands and artists as Transatlantic, Jordan Rudess, Flying Colors, Mike Pornoy, Neal Morse, Bad Salad, Affector, Tina Guo, Marc Papeghin, Whiterose, Collin Leijenaar, Daniel Fries and many others.
Michał Mierzejewski’s greatest achievements:
- Symphonic Theater of Dreams project, recording an album, concerts with the project at the Baltic Opera House and during Drum Fest 2012 in Opole (also as a conductor at the festival).
- musical coordinator for Jordan Rudess’s "Explorations For Keyboard And Orchestra"
- creating 8-minute long orchestration of the most famous musical themes of the supergroup Transatlantic. It was ordered by a legendary drummer Mike Portnoy and finishedwithin 12 hours. Michał’s work has been used since then during the worldwide tour of the band in 2014 as an intro tape, an intermission tape and an outro tape.
- Michał’s symphonic tribute for Neal Morse was used by Neal himself during the worldwide tour in 2011. Michał’s orchestration served as an intro tape for the second part of the concert.
It can be found on the DVD/CD release of Testimony 2: Live in Los Angeles
- A symphonic tribute to Flying Colors written by Michał was used by the band as an outro tape during the worldwide tour in w 2012 roku. It can be found on the BR/DVD/CD of "Flying Colors - Live In Europe"
- Michał Mierzejewski’s compositions have already appeared on stages of Europe, North/Central/South America and Asia. 21 different countries and a list of about 50 cities – this is the musical output of the last 3 years of this artist’s career.
Born in 1985 in Reszel. A graduate of the Instrumental Faculty (accordion), currently a student of symphonic and opera conducting in prof. Wojciech Rajski's class at Stanisław Moniuszko Music Academy in Gdańsk.
He has refined his skills throughout numerous domestic and international training courses. He is a fully-active instrumentalist, a participant of a number of festivals and musical seasons. He performs solo and as a chamber musician on stages all across Poland and abroad (Czech Republic, Latvia). As a conductor he takes an active part in the artistic life of Trojmiasto and Pomorze region, cooperating closely with local cultural organizations. Since 2011 he has been cooperating with the Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra in Sopot.